This Hundred Board is crafted from solid hardwood and features one hundred dimples ready for your child to fill up while counting, creating patterns, practicing mathematical equations, discovering cardinal directions, and more. It comes with your choice of either 100 natural wood or 100 colourful wool balls (as shown in the photos).
A few things your child can do with Treasures From Jennifer's Hundred Frame:
- Fill each dimple with a ball while counting from 1 to 100.
- The engraved lines help the child "subitize" numbers, which means they can perceive the number of items in a group quickly without counting each item individually. It is based on groups of five and whether it is more or less than five. They'll learn the number seven is five and two more. Or forty-three is the fourth row down and three dimples over - all without counting all forty-three dimples.
- Practice skip counting by placing balls only in the number you're working on such as 3, 6, 9, etc. Notice the patterns that emerge.
- Designate a quadrant of the board for you and one for your child. Place the balls in your quadrant a certain way and ask your child to copy it in their area (either exactly or as a mirror image).
- Think of the board as a compass and ask your child to mark the dimple that is 4 degrees west and 7 degrees south from the middle point.
- Learn positive and negative numbers by designating the middle point as 0. Then play with the X and Y axises (X being horizontal movement and the Y axis being vertical movement). Thus, finding -3 on the X axis is three dimples to the left of the middle.
- Play games such as rolling a dice and adding that many balls to the board (starting at the top left corner). Then roll again and add that many. Continue until the board is full.
Please note that this listing is for the WALNUT Hundred Frame with Coin Pockets with either wooden OR wool balls. Prefer wood of a ligher colour? Check out our Maple Hundred Frame with Coin Pockets here.
If choosing wool balls, you will receive eleven of each colour (red, orange, yellow, light green, dark green, blue, indigo, violet, pink, and white). Need more wool balls? You can purchase more here.
Treasures From Jennifer products are made from natural wood. As such, do expect slight variations in terms of colour, grain, and markings. These are not defects but are unique indications that serve as proof of its natural origin.